The economic players of the cider industry are confronted with several major challenges in a changing context, namely the economic and environmental sustainability of production, while taking into account the consumer's safety.
The issue of economic sustainability has resulted in two main objectives:
- To allow companies to improve their competitiveness by launching products that meet consumers' expectations in terms of taste.
- To reduce production costs related to the energy consumption of certain processes.
The issue of environmental sustainability is also composed of two objectives:
- To reduce energy expenditure on processing.
- To contribute to the emergence of more ecological raw material production systems while guaranteeing the quality of finished products.
This joint technological unit, located in Rheu, started its five-year programme in 2011.
The programme of the Novacidre joint technological unit is divided into two main parts:
Part 1: To adapt the product to consumers by taking into account taste, olfactory, and visual perception.
Part 2: To adapt processes to environmental demands by:
- reducing energy costs on processing;
- contributing to the emergence of more ecological raw material production systems while guaranteeing the quality and safety of products.